Name: Edmund P. Cahill
Date of Birth: January 15, 1978
Place of Birth: New York, NY, USA
Height: 6′ 2″ (1.88 m)
Eddie in younger years
Edmund P. Cahill, or better known as Eddie Cahill, was born on January 15, 1978 in New York City, New York. He is probably best known for playing the role of Detective Don Flack on the hit series, CSI: NY. Eddie came from a family of Irish and Italian descent. He spent his years growing up in New York City with his family.
Cahill is the second child to his parents. He has an older brother and a younger sister. Before he got involved in the acting business, he studied acting for a year and a half at the New York University with the Atlantic Theater Co. Acting School.
Acting came pretty easily for Cahill. Unlike most Hollywood actors and actresses, Cahill knew that he wanted to act. He enrolled himself into a good acting school and not too long later, he finds himself acting on the city’s stages.
Eventually, Eddie was hired to guest role on a few TV series, Charmed, Friends, and Felicity. A turn as an almost angelic hustler in the 2000 Off-Broadway production, “The Altruists“, earned him great reviews that placed him on the celebrity map.
In the year 2000, an episode of Sex And The City, guest starring Eddie Cahill aired on HBO. It was his first screen role and he played a young bisexual whose unselfconscious openness leads the show’s star, Carrie Bradshaw, played by Sarah Jessica Parker, to question just how sexually liberated she can really be.
Eddie in Friends
Cahill started experimenting with different roles throughout the year. Producers noticed Cahill’s work on other series and decided to hire him to do a few episodes of Friends. In Friends, he portrayed the role of Tag Jones, an under-qualified but super good looking candidate for the job as Rachel Green’s, played by Jennifer Aniston, assistant. When Rachel dumped Tag, audiences knew it was the best for her, but felt sad that Cahill was no longer a part of the show.
The next thing that came up for Eddie was Felicity, where he broke away from his nice guy image into a crazed drug dealer who won’t let go of Molly, played by Sarah Jane-Potts, the girlfriend who wants out. The intense portrayal of Eddie in the show gave the actor a chance to show his versatility in a three episode recurring role. Audiences were easily attracted to Eddie’s performance that they wished for his character to stop his destructive antics, as it was easy to sympathize for his heartful dedication to the the show.
The actor then got to starred in an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, playing a fresh-faced male escort who is victimized by his own madam and a couple with a dangerous need. That same year, he finished filming the pilot for Glory Days on The WB. Glory Days gained great critic praise but for some reason, the show got canceled.
Eddie and Jim Craig
On the big screen, Cahill had a winning turn as real-life 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team goalie (and his childhood hero) Jim Craig, who has to find his own inner drive to achieve greatness, in the well-crafted Cinderella sports story “Miracle“. A year later, he was cast in the Catherine Hardwicke directed “Lords of Dogtown” a fictionalized take on a group of skateboarders that originated in Venice, California during the 1970′s.
Not giving up, Eddie continues to pursue his acting. His next big break eventually knocked at his door. Producers from the spin-off of CSI decided to get Eddie to portray the role of Detective Don Flack in CSI: NY. Until now, Eddie is most known to the public through this role. As seasons past, he becomes more involved in each episode and matures throughout the process.
In the year 2008, Eddie starred in the movie This Is Not A Test with his CSI: NY co-stars, Hill Harper & Carmine Giovinazzo. He also worked on promoting the 5th season of CBS Network’s CSI: NY. Eddie is a big hockey fan, and he is mostly seen at NHL games. He is an avid supporter of the New York Rangers.
Eddie and Nikki
Being known as the young boyfriend’s of Hollywood’s famous stars, Sarah Jessica Parker & Jennifer Aniston is something he always wanted to be get away from. He claims that in the beginning, that title did sound nice, but in time, he would want to make a name for himself. Fortunately, Eddie is already on his way to doing so. With a few more movie roles coming his way, Eddie Cahill can definitely secure his spot in Hollywood.
Eddie has a long time relationship with artist Nikki Ubert, which who reside in Los Angeles. He’s eight years younger than his girlfriend, and have her name tatooed across his shoulder. They’re both puppy lovers and have adopted several “pound puppies.” Currently they had a dog, named Sweetie.
(about using Second Life) “I’m terrified of it! I don’t even go on MySpace, let alone a whole universe like Second Life. In terms of content, I thought the episode was really current. I liked that, and I like the idea that that may come back, that we’ve still got one killer that’s at large. I think it’s fun. To me that’s a real entertaining.”
(About his appreciation for hockey while filming Miracle) “The first time I put the pads on was actually at the final audition for the movie, which was a game that we played. I myself didn’t have an appreciation for the physicality having never done it. The economy of motion is so small but so concentrated. [It’s] so compact and you have to do so many things at once. You have to be incredibly focused, so relaxed, so fast, and I don’t know how to describe it other than it’s more than I’ve ever sweat in my entire life. It’s more than my legs have ever done in my entire life, no matter how far I ran, getting across that crease for the first time was quite an endeavor.”
“It doesn’t hurt if a woman has a good butt, but a point of view is what will matter when you’re 70.”
“In the first script, the word putrefaction came up, I made the mistake of looking it up on the Internet, it came with pictures, that was the most grossed out I’ve been.” (on his first CSI NY script)
“I’ll stay with the show for as long as they’ll have me! I envision staying with the show for as long as the show goes” (Referring to his role on CSI NY).
“It’s a porn name that’s my take on it” (commenting on the name of the character Tag Jones that he played in Friends).
“What makes me insecure is always having that new-kid-at-school feeling. Whenever I show up for the first day at any job, I feel insecure, like I don’t really belong there. . . There was Sarah Jessica, the cast of Friends and now Gary Sinise.”
“To be honest, I try not to think about the success of the ‘CSI’ (franchise) that much because it makes me paranoid and crazy.”
“Everybody wants to get along with everyone else in the sandbox. I’m that kind of kid, you know what I mean? That will never change about me.”
“(On his favorite role) I gotta go with Jim Craig (from Miracle), that was awesome. I’m lucky I get to knock off the things in life I would like to do as a human being but can only do as an actor. I got to be a hockey player, bingo, done. I get to be a cop for a little bit, bingo done. I get to knock all the great stuff off”
“On Friends, I was supposed to be from Ohio, and in one episode, I went to a basketball game with Joey and I had the hardest time saying hot “dog” instead of “dawg”. I was really close to asking if we could change the word to frankfurter.”
(On his favorite episode/case in ‘CSI:NY’.) “I think my two favorite episodes, if I had to choose, are: “The Fall” meant so much to me and was such a nice gift to have on a personal level, and “On the Job,” -I really liked having that moment with Danny and enjoyed playing that episode out. And I liked that it came home to the department. I like when it comes home to the department or to me personally. Those were excellent; they were great fun.”
(On what he would like to see more on his character, Det. Don Flack) “I’m looking forward to just getting further into and learning what the audience can expect from my character and developing him more as a homicide detective. In reflecting on last season I’ve come to a place in thinking, “Alright, what does that mean? What is his disposition at a crime scene? What is the nature of his job?” I would like to bring forth more of the nature of his job this season. I can’t say exactly what’s coming up for him, because we haven’t had too much time to sit with the writers so I don’t know which way it will go necessarily.”
• Eddie is the first left-handed actor to land a lead role on the C.S.I. franchise. The other being Jonathan Togo on C.S.I. MIAMI
• Eddie is an active smoker.
• Eddie’s girlfriend is called Nikki Uberti. She was married to a guy named Terry Richardson and her name was Nikki Richardson.
• On the show CSI:NY, another man was cast for Flack, but when Eddie came in and auditioned, he impressed the directors so much, they called the other actor to let him know they had changed their minds.
• Eddie is a huge New York Rangers fan and a big hockey fan in general. He is very knowledgable about the game and often discusses it on his Internet blog.
• He appeared on Broadway in 2000 in the play The Altruist.
• Eddie went to the same high school as actors Eyal Podell and Sean Maher.
• The school was Byram Hills High School in Westchester County.
• Eddie is keen to write for television in the future.
• Eddie is good friends with his Friends co-star David Schwimmer.
• Eddie does anasura yoga to keep in shape, five days a week.
• Sweetie is the name of Eddie and his girlfriend’s dog.
• Before Eddie got is big break in Friends he had just $19.50 left in his bank.
• Eddie went to The Atlantic Theatre School.
• The actors Kevin Spacey, Gena Rowlands and the director Ang Lee are Eddie’s dream collaborations for a project.
• Meredith Monk, Brian Eno and Bach are some of Eddie’s favourite artists to listen to and display the wide range of tastes he has.
• Eddie has one tattoo on his shoulder, a swallow on top of a heart with his girlfriend’s name on it.
• Eddie has dated many famous attractive actresses on screen such as Sarah Jessica Parker, Jennifer Aniston and Shannen Doherty.
• Eddie has an envy of the career of actor Edward Norton.
• Eddie is not a big TV person and tends to watch either CNN or sports channels
• One of Eddie’s favourite movies is Spinal Tap.
• Eddie’s two favourite actors who inspire him are Marlon Brando and Peter Falk.
• Eddie has a big passion for ice hockey and plans to move into the sport if acting doesn’t work out.
• Eddie is not known as one of the conventional spoilt young stars, when turning up to a E! meeting in 2000 he showed up in $4 worth of clothes. The shoes of the outfit had been borrowed from David Schwimmer.
• Eddie is eight years younger than his girlfriend.
• As of 2006, Eddie resides in New York City.
• In 2000, while performing a play in New York City, Eddie was spotted by Sarah Jessica Parker and was cast as her boyfriend on Sex and the City.
• Eddie considered becoming a teacher but decided to pursue an acting career after seeing Les Misérables when he was 17 years old.
• Eddie attended New York University.
• Eddie is 6′ 2″.
• Eddie is left-handed.
• Eddie is a fan of hockey and also soccer, his favorite team is the Glasgow Celtic Football Club.
• When he was in kindergarten, Eddie wanted to be a farmer.
• Eddie is a self-described homebody.
• Eddie likes to cook.
• Eddie made $206.57 a week while working on The Altruists.
• Eddie rented a house in Silverlake with Tru Calling star Eliza Dushku and her brother Nate.
• One of Eddie’s most prominent and best-known features are his bright blue eyes.
• Eddie and his artist girlfriend of five years reside in Los Angeles.
• Eddie and his girlfriend have adopted several “pound puppies.” They are both dog-lovers.
• Eddie has never been a big tv watcher, but he’s proud of CSI for being such a high-caliber show.
• Eddie’s mother is Italian, and his father is Irish.
• Eddie was one of E! Online’s “Sizzlin’ Sixteen” list as one of the brightest up-and-coming stars of 2001.
• Eddie appeared in Nicky Silver’s off-Broadway play The Altruists in 2000.
• Eddie has two sisters, one older and one younger.
• Eddie attended public high school in Armonk, New York.
• Eddie is a Roman Catholic of Irish and Italian descent.
• In the movie Miracle, Eddie plays hockey goalie Jim Craig. A huge hockey fan, Craig was one of Eddie’s childhood heroes.